Monday, November 21, 2011

My pacu has a spot just above his mouth. I kinda looks like a human pimple. Does anyone know what this is???

I was thinking it could by HITH disease. But i've seen pix and it doesn't look like it. The spot looks like a peach color.My pacu has a spot just above his mouth. I kinda looks like a human pimple. Does anyone know what this is???
It is most likely from hitting his face against the tank, but several diseases can start with this appearance. Watch it closely for the next few days and if the spot grows , gets redder or begins to get a fungus type appearance post another question or email me.





MMMy pacu has a spot just above his mouth. I kinda looks like a human pimple. Does anyone know what this is???
A fish pimple....?
I had 2 red bellied pacu and they would get bumps like this from darting into the glass or bumping into anything in the tank, or from rough play between them. I always kept salt in the water and they heal very quickly. About 1/2 tablespoon for every 5 gallons.
It is a callous formed because pacus have the tendency to be skittish fish and will plow into the sides of your tank when scared. Sometimes they can do this very forcefully making a loud noise and if big enough in a small tank, could do damage to the tank. It is just like how people get callouses on their hands from working hard with them, a fish will get a callous from hitting things too hard with their head. It is quite common in many fish and can be prevented by putting plants (live or fake) at the ends of your tank to either soften the blow or make the fish realize that their is something in the way.
I agree with MM. It could just be from bumping the tank. Watching his behavior and changes of this ';Pimple';. It could develope into columnaris, ich, parasite just a blemish.
He probably bumped himself hard while making one of his quick,sudden aggressive moves. Treat with Pimafix or add some extra salt. It'll heal in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment